Latest news: 09-23-2010
Three held after teen dies of meth overdose
Stillwater, OK -- A mother, her boyfriend and an accused drug dealer made their first appearance in Payne County court Wednesday afternoon. All three are charged with first degree murder in the death of 15-year-old Linda Renee Tucker. Tucker died of a meth overdose while at a family reunion at Lake Carl Blackwell in Stillwater. Tucker's mother Doris Rigsby, Rigsby's boyfriend, Jeff Philips, and accused drug dealer Heather Gaddis are now being held without bond.
Tenn. legislature tackles 'meth house' problem
TN -- A record year for methamphetamine labs across Tennessee will mean even more quarantined homes statewide - and still no way to guarantee they'll be cleaned up. State law allows police to quarantine homes where the drug's been made. The registered owner - often an innocent landlord, relative or mortgage-holder - gets the cleanup bill, which can run into the thousands and sometimes tops the home's value."I'm going to look into why it takes so long to get these houses cleaned up," said state Rep. Jimmy Matlock, R-Lenoir City. "It shouldn't take so long."
Meth, child neglect charges filed against WV man
Charleston, WV -- A Kanawha County man faces felony charges after allegedly operating a methamphetamine lab out of his home on Derricks Creek Road and allowing three children to live in the roach-infested trailer. Scotty Jarrell Whiting, 38, faces three counts of child neglect creating risk of injury and one count of operating or attempting to operate a clandestine drug laboratory.
House 'renovation' was actually meth lab
GA -- Officers say 26-year-old Craig Reynolds, from Fort Mitchell, Alabama, was supposed to be doing renovations at house across the street from Skinner but instead, he was making meth in the empty realty office. Late Tuesday night, police say some of the lab's materials caught fire, sparking flames inside and out in the parking lot. According to police, Reynolds was captured on surveillance footage carrying the flaming materials out of the front door and either kicked or dropped a open fuel container, setting fire to the ground and grass.